Procedures and registration forms needed to join CRIB experiments

To be registered as a user of RIKEN Nishina center

A user registration is required to join the experiment. If you do not have a position at RIKEN (visiting scientist, etc.), you should be registered at an external user ("RIBF-independent user"). This is a position at RIKEN, but for CRIB users the procedure will be taken care by CNS. Please prepare the following documents and submit to the responsible person in CNS (Yamaguchi/Ms. Kotaka) for the registration. (Please do not send these to RIKEN, unless your main work is for RIKEN experiment or you have a position (visiting scientist etc.) at Nishina Center. )

  • Registration form
  • "Affidavit"

The forms are available at the RIKEN site:

RIBF website

(See "Registration as RIBF Independent Users".)

and basically we need the registration form and the affidavit.

(Note in Nov. 2023: now the web site seems to have a problem, and the registration form can be downloaded from here: English form )

As for the email address to be filled in the form, they want an official one (at your insititute, etc.), and a free-email address (like gmail) may not be accepted.

If this is your first time registration, we also need a digital picture of you, which appears on the entrance ID card. Please prepare a picture in which you are directly facing to the camera, against a simple background.

For people from European institutes, "GDPR" is also needed. (Please see the above RIBF page.)

The registration may take a few weeks. A personal card will be issued after the registration.

The registration expires in two fiscal years, or when you moved to another institute. You need to submit forms when you want to extend or remake your registration. (Please consult us.)

Please tell us if you have joined an experiment at CNS/RIKEN in the last 2 years. You may be able to skip some of the paperwork.

To work in the radiation-controlled area (experimental rooms)

You need to submit the Certificate for registered radiation worker.

The form is also available at the website above (see the sample also). For foreign visitors, the first page and the last page should be prepared (also see "Sample" on the page). Visitors at a Japanese institute should fill the second page as well.

In this form, only your signature and the date are needed to be filled by you. Do not fill your name in printed letters, as a signature is required.

  • The last (certificate) page

The form should be used as it is (no need to put a letterhead). A hand-written signature by your radiation-safety administrator in your institute is required. Please send us the certificate early enough (we need two weeks or more) so that we can finish the registration before your arrival. (Note in Dec. 2022: we had treated the certificates as expired after our fiscal year is changed (on April 1), but that rule does not exist anymore. So the certificate will be valid till the expiry date specified in the certificate.)

New rule since 2023: RIKEN stopped asking us the original copies of documents. These radiation documents can be scanned and send to us by email.

Safety Training

In addition to submitting the form, you have to take the safety training:

  • For external users (normal CRIB visitor): Safety training is held at the users office in RIBF building, 2nd floor.
    • Your position/division in RIKEN will be (you may need them for some forms),
      • position: RIBF-independent user
      • division: User Liaison and Industrial Cooperation Group, User support office
    • In Japanese,
      • 身分: 外部利用者
      • 所属: 共用促進チーム
  • For users who already have a position in RIKEN: Please follow the instruction of your host laboratory. You may need to take a video lecture at Nishina Building.

Since you need a reservation to take the safety training, please let us know your available time (otherwise, we may make a reservation at earliest possible time). After the training, you will obtain a dose badge to enter the radiation-controlled area at the RIBF users office.

(Additional note in Dec. 2022: these days the initial training can be completed online, and you can finish it by your coming. The procedure is notified by the Users Office, after the registration process is fully completed. You may still need to take on-site video lecture for RIBF, and please follow the instraction of UO.)

Notes on the document preparation

  • In short, what typically needed for new foreign participants are,
    • Registration form
    • "Affidavit" (signed)
    • Certificate for Registered Radiation Worker
    • GDPR (if you are from Europe)
    • photo image file
    • Radiation Worker, etc. Approval Application Form (only signature and date)
    • Visitor information registration (just tell information to Yamaguchi, see below)
  • The spokesperson of the experiment should complete the registration at least a few weeks before your arrival, and be present at the beamtime. (This is due to the new rule in RIKEN.) If the spokesperson is a new registrant, that person should send the original copies to us when you submit the AUPS (the planning sheet for the beamtime). If the spokesperson has been already registered in previous years, the person may need to sign another document for the renewal. Please let us know in that case.
  • You may have to resubmit a new certificate, when the previous one has expired (or you can remake the registration when you come next time).
  • Please be sure to return the card and dosimeter (badge) to CNS secretaries, the person in charge (Yamaguchi), or the RIBF users office (for the badges) on your leaving. (Never bring the dosimeter into airplanes.) Users who will stay in Japan are not required, but recommended to leave the card at CNS. You have to return the card when the registration expires.
  • A temporal visit in the experimental area (accompanied by one of the CNS staff or others) without the above procedure is possible.
    • The category, "Guided facility tour", is only for short time in one day, and any practical work in the area is not permitted.
    • "Work that is supposed to be without contamination by radioactive material" allows you to enter the area for a certain period. You will be given a dosimeter, and you have to submit a form to report the time and dose every day. This permission is not valid for the beamtime (i.e. you cannot take shifts in the beamtime).


Most of the buildings in RIKEN are locked, and you need a card to open it. Temporal entrance card issued at the reception (west gate) of RIKEN also works as the key, but basically you should return it within a day.

If you finish the registration above, your personal card will be given at the secretary's room, on the 2F of the CNS building.

The CNS building is locked at night, on weekends and holidays. (Note: now it's always locked, since the pandemic happened in 2020.) You need to input a number to unlock the door. (Please ask a CNS member for the key number.)

There is an electric-lock gate between the Sakura House and Nishina Lodge, and some of the temporary cards do not work for that gate. Basically the temporary card should be replaced with the personal card (which should work for all the gate) within the day. But if your card does not work for the door, please go to the west gate (never climb on the fence).


There are two internal lodges in RIKEN, Nishina Lodge and Sakura House (H-building).

-The schedule must be fixed 10 days earlier than your arrival, at latest. For any change after that should be
requested through the secretary at CNS.

(New reservation system from 2016.7)

The reservation system of the Nishina Lodge/Sakura House has been changed, and the procedure is as follows:

  1. Send the following information to us (Yamaguchi/Endo).
    • Name, sex, nationality, e-mail address, period of stay (check-in/out dates)
  2. Confirmation e-mail is sent to you (or we may make an anonymous reservation of which e-mail will not be sent to you).
  3. On arrival, you need to show the followings at the west gate guard.
    • The confirmation e-mail from the system.
    • Identification (passport, driver's licence, etc.)

Also please make sure:

-You have to pay the fee by the end of each month at the reception of each lodge (or Sakura house if you are staying at Nishina Lodge), even if you stay beyond the end of a month. They only accept cash in Japanese yen.

-You cannot stay longer than 30 days at the two internal lodges. (If you want to stay longer, please consult us.)

-The internal lodges do not accept mails or packages sent to you. If you want to receive something, please send it to a person in CNS (or some laboratory RIKEN).

-The numbers of rooms are limited, and sometimes all the rooms are fully booked. In that case, please reserve your rooms outside RIKEN by yourself. The nearest hotels are:

all of which can be booked on the web in English.

  • If your main business is at RIKEN (not CNS), please make the registration/reservation through RIBF users office.

Visitor information registration (U-Tokyo rule)

According to the rule made recently, information of all the visitors from foreign countries has to be registered at the system at U-Tokyo.

Please send Yamaguchi the following information by email:

-Name (on the passport)


-Graduated universities/departments (Both for the undergraduate/graduate),

-Present affiliation/department and position

-Expected arrival/departure dates

-Research topic at U-Tokyo (usually can be filled by our side)

Long term stay

If you want to stay at CNS for more than 30 days, several documents must be submitted to the University, about 1.5 month before your stay.

  • Please fill in this form and send it to us (first by e-mail to check, then by air mail).
  • We need your CV and publication list as well.
  • We also need a recommendation letter for your stay by a person in your institute with a signature, if you do not have a degree of doctor.

Please ask Yamaguchi (yamag.nosp@m.@cns.nosp@m..s.u-.nosp@m.toky.nosp@m.o.ac..nosp@m.jp) for any questions.

Working jackets

You need to wear a working jacket while you work in the radiation-controlled area (experimental rooms in the basement). You can borrow it either from CNS or RIKEN, but please do not fail to return it to the proper location on your leaving.

CNS: The jackets are in the post box/stationary room in front of the secretaries' room on the second floor of the CNS building. Record your name on the notebook (ask some Japanese to find it), and return the jacket to a secretary after use.

RIKEN: You can borrow one at the entrance of the radiation-controlled area, and the return box is also nearby. RIKEN has more large-sized jackets.

Please do not write your name on the borrowed jacket!

Retraining Program (new scheme since 2015)

Any person who will be working in the radiation controlled area is requested to complete a retraining program provided by Nishina Center for each fiscal year. One cannot enter the area without completing it, The program is offered at the following URL. The spokesperson should make sure that all the participants finish the retraining prior to the experiment.

Please visit the following web page:


You may find you do not have the number which is needed to
reconstruct the password. Please ask us in that case.

Usage of computer network

For using the network in CNS/RIKEN, you need to observe the local network rules.

You must take the training course before connecting your PC to the network in RIKEN:

Online information security course http://accc.riken.jp/en/elearning/

Avoid file sharing software at RIKEN http://ccr.riken.jp/2364.htm

Important Items Regarding Information Security http://ccr.riken.jp/en/security/sec-notice/

-These training programs are only available in the network of RIKEN. That means you should take it on another PC, or you may do it on your first connection of your PC.

-Your PC must have a security software installed.

-Please make sure your PC is not using any P2P-type software. Such sofware is often used for illegal file sharing, and connection to your PC is always be monitored. If a P2P connection is detected, they may prohibit your PC to be connected to the network of RIKEN/CNS. An explanation will be required even if the usage of the P2P is not illegal. Some of anti-virus software uses P2P for updating the pattern, which is an example of non-illegal usage.

-Since 2015, the network of CNS allows connections only from devices with a registered MAC address, and a digital certificate must be installed in your device. A temporary certificate without MAC address registration is also available, but the certificate expires within a week. Please ask us for details. The RIKEN network has no such restriction.


You need to have an IC card to make the payment at the cafeteria of RIKEN.

The cards they accept are so-called traffic IC cards, SUICA, PASMO, ICOCA, etc.

You can buy a card at a railway (JR, Tokyo Metro and others) station, but not at RIKEN (charge is possible at RIKEN cafeteria).

For details of SUICA, please see: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html

CNS address

CNS Address: Center for Nuclear Study, The University of Tokyo, RIKEN Campus,
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198, Japan
FAX No.: +81-48-464-4554
Phone No.: +81-48-464-4191

Please send your original copies of documents to Hidetoshi Yamaguchi at this address.